Potatoes are one of my favourite vegetables. They so versatile, but also very filling and contain vitamin C, vitamin B6, vitamin A, fibre, potassium, magnesium and folate (vitamin B9].
We love hashbrowns, especially the crunchy bits on the outside. They go with anything and you can eat them anytime!
In my quest to cook them without oil, I discovered that using my sandwich maker or grill produced a crispy result while still being fluffy inside.
Depending on how many people you're feeding, you'll need to either cook 2 batches or like me, use both the sandwich maker and the George foreman grill. This recipe makes enough to feed 2 adults and 3 children. I use 2 potatoes per person, so you can adjust that number as you need to. You can also sub some potatoes for zucchini, kumara, onion and carrot.
I top ours with pan fried vegetables cooked in liquid seasoning and fresh garlic. You can add anything you like!
10 medium potatoes (any variety)
1/4 cup chopped parsley (or any fresh herbs)
2 chopped garlic cloves
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp mustard powder
* Pre heat your sandwich maker and/or grill to toast or medium setting
* Scrub the potatoes and grate them into a clean tea towel
* Squeeze the water from the potatoes
* Place all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix everything together, making sure the potatoes are well coated
* Spread half of the mixture onto the grill, making sure it is even. Repeat with the other grill if using
* Close the grill or sandwich maker ensuring the lid is flat. Cook for approximately 15 minutes (each machine is different so adjust cooking time as needed). Be careful not to lift the lid too early. If the hashbrowns haven't crisped up enough you'll pull it apart.
* Carefully remove your hashbrowns and enjoy on its own with a dipping sauce or top with your favourite vegetables.
The best bit is that you only need to gently wipe you machine, as no oil is required!